How To Choose The Ideal Sofa For Your Living Room
Bobby Berk, an American interior designer, reality television personality, and author, once said – “I love my living room: it’s the heart of my home where I get to chill and spend time with family and friends.”
These words simply describe how significant a living room can be in someone’s life. A living room, also called a sitting room, lounge room, or drawing room, is one place in your house where you relax and socialize.
And the most important part of your living room is undoubtedly your living room sofa. A place where you can sit, stretch, or lie down to relax, unwind, and socialize after a busy day. The living room sofa set is like a centerpiece where you create memories with your family and friends.
You can use this beautiful piece of furniture for sitting and watching movies together, discussing how you spent your day, doing the planning for your upcoming holidays, playing board games, talking to your guests, and sleeping if you need to.
Considering you would like to spend some quality time on it, choosing the best sofa sets for your drawing room is an essential part of your interior planning. You would not want to buy a sofa in haste and then later realize that it is not up to your expectations.
So, it is better to give it considerable time to plan and find the best suitable living room sofa for you that is just perfect in style and comfort as per your living room.
When you look at an uncountable number of styles of sofas available in the stores and on furniture websites, it is very natural to get confused in the first place. Not all sofas are suitable for your requirements when looking at their design, comfort, and price. Multiple factors need to be taken care of while purchasing such an essential piece of furniture for your house.
Making this daunting task easy for you, we are here with a detailed practical guide telling you all about the various designs, styles, arrangement ideas, and a hassle-free approach to finding the just-right sofa for your living room.
On reading this, we bet that you will not find it difficult to make the right choice and will enjoy the luxury and comfort of your living room sofa. So, here we go!
The moment you look at a sofa, its style and design are the factors that make or break your first impression. So, let’s discuss the most common types of modern living room sofas available in the market that can be considered the right option for your living room.
To be honest, you can categorize sofas in numerous ways depending on the factors like size, function, storage, design, arm and back shape, number of components, the material used, etc. This list is simply endless.
To make it easy, we are providing you options from those popular, comfortable, and readily available categories in the market so that you can effortlessly choose your sofa from them. You can finalize your choice with the combination of all these factors. Let’s take a look.
The most crucial aspect while choosing a living room sofa should always be its size. Depending upon the dimensions of your living room, you should buy a sofa that fills the room comfortably without making it look too cramped. Also, your living room sofa’s height, width, and depth play an important role in determining how comfortable it would be to sit. Here are a few sofa options based on the size.
These are the most common sofas with a standard size that typically is between 6 and 8 feet wide, 36 inches high, and 38 inches deep. They are primarily three-seater sofas.
These sofas are almost similar to traditional ones, except they have a shallow depth. Petite sofas are an excellent option for short people so that they can sit comfortably without hanging their feet in the air while resting their back against the backrest.
Also known as apartment sofas with almost similar height and depth to the traditional sofa, loveseats are compact sofas with a comfortable seating capacity of two people. You can use them in an L-shaped configuration along with regular sofas in your living room.
They are long sofas with a typical length of 90 to 110 inches. They provide a comfortable seating capacity of four to five people. They are an excellent choice for a long living room, and tall people can use them to sleep on them comfortably.
These sofas provide customized options to be used in a seating arrangement that best fits your living room. Sectional sofas comprise multiple modular components. You can use them in different ways, like L-shaped or U-shaped configurations for spacious living rooms or a loveseat-chaise lounge configuration for smaller living rooms.
If you want to use your sofa as a bed, you might consider buying a sleeper sofa. Sleeper sofas look similar to the typical sofa, but you can convert them into beds as and when required. They are available in various sizes, and you can choose the one depending on how much space you have in your living room. Here are a few different types of sleeper sofa options for you:
These are simple and easy to set up sleeping sofas for accommodating your guests for the night. With a contemporary style, they are perfect for a small living room. You can simply fold down the backrest of the sofa flat to convert it to a bed. Traditional futons have covered mattresses on the frame. In contrast, modern fold-down futons have integrated upholstered cushions into the frame itself.
These sofas have a hidden mattress stored inside that can be taken out by rolling the front rail of the sofa forward using the handles and locking it. Because of the simple mechanism, they can be easily set up and provide great comfort for sleeping. They can be a fantastic option for saving space.
They are unique pieces of furniture that can be used for seating, reclining, and lounging. They have a metal or wooden frame or both, along with a separate mattress or an upholstered cushion. Daybeds are perfect for overnight visitors as they provide good comfort with an aesthetic look.
In this type of sofa, you pull out the sofa open and take out the traditional foam mattress or, for more comfort, a memory foam mattress. It is very comfortable for the guests who plan to stay for a longer duration.
In this category, you can have different options based on the sofa style that suits your choice explicitly based on modern to traditional type.
They are also known as scatter back sofas having multiple large pillows arranged against the backrest, unlike the traditional fitted back cushions. The pillows upholstered in the same color as that of the sofa provide a plush feeling.
These can be a good option for those looking for a firm sofa as they have a tightly upholstered backrest. With an elegant look, these types of sofas maintain their shape perfectly without any sagging. You can use pillows across the backrest if you need to have soft support for your back.
These sofas look different and make a visible impact with a curved back like a serpentine. The curved frame provides it a retro cum modern look and makes people feel closer while sitting.
These sofas have arms stretched at the same height as the backrest and provide a boxy silhouette. Generally, they have tufted backs and arms that provide details and have a clean-lined appearance
Sofas Types based on Arm Style
Some sofas have a unique style of their arms that can be short or high, straight or curved, and various other shapes.
They have curved armrests providing a traditional look to your sofa.
They have rectangular armrests providing them a clean line and a modern look. They are simply comfortable, and you can add some throw pillows against the arms for a more plush feeling.
These sofas have armrests of the same height as the backrest, but it gets shorter as it goes towards the front of the furniture giving it a curved look.
These living room sofas have oversized cushions draped over the armrests to provide more comfort.
With their minimalist shape, these sofas don’t have armrests as the name suggests. They are popular in modern design and used with chaise lounges, loveseats, or corner chairs.
After the size and the sofa style, the last important category for the living room sofa is its upholstery style. The material, color, pattern, breathability, and stain resistance are some aspects related to that.
There are many types of fabric sofas available to choose from based on your lifestyle and preference. You can opt for synthetic microfibers that are stain-resistant, easy to clean, and don’t fade easily. For a soft, comfortable fabric, you can opt for cotton or linen. You can get a lot of color and pattern options when you go for the fabric sofa.
For a sophisticated and luxury look, you can choose a leather sofa that comes in different grain sizes and colors. They are durable, and with proper care, they can last longer than fabric sofas.
Slipcovered sofas are fantastic easy-to-maintain sofas. The cover of these sofas can be easily removed for washing when required. One more plus point with the slipcovered sofas is that you can easily customize them with the look of your living room color.
Now you are well aware of the types of sofas available in the market. But your task doesn’t end here. It actually starts from here. By now, you must have thought about all the factors that apply to your living room while deciding on your dream sofa.
Now, choosing the right sofa is the final step before buying the sofa for your living room. Don’t worry; we are helping you out with that right away.
You will have to keep in mind the following factors to choose the right sofa for your living room. Let’s walk you through them one by one.
For a perfect fit for your living room sofa, you must measure the dimensions of your living room before buying the sofa. You should also keep in mind the position of things like windows, fireplace, TV cabinet, or doorways in your living room to ensure that your sofa does not obstruct the room’s smooth flow.
You should take all these measurements and details to the store while buying the sofa. The salesperson can suggest the right size of sofa that goes just right with your space in the living room. Sofa for a small living room should be optimal to fit without occupying all the free space. Similarly, the sofa for a large living room should be big enough to fill the empty space without making it look too cramped.
Next comes the style of the sofa that goes in sync with your taste and preference. It should seamlessly fit with your current home decor or with the one you intend to get changed.
You would like to narrow down your sofa style from a wide range of styles, from classic to modern or firm to soft. You might want a sleek and sturdy sofa or maybe the one that looks plush and cozy. Whatever sofa style you want, you will have to mindfully understand it and then decide the final one you want for your living room.
A fitting sofa is the one that serves you the perfect seat depth for your unique height. The three most important aspects you should consider for getting fitted for a sofa are:
- The average height of your family members who will use the sofa most of the time
- The depth of the sofa
- The firmness and built of your sofa cushion
A correctly fitted sofa has optimum seat depth for your height where your knees should make a 90-degree angle when you sit on it, and your feet should reach the floor comfortably.
Apart from that, the cushion of your sofa should be firm enough at your lumbar region, bottom, and knees, providing support to your body. But at the same time, it should be comfortable enough.
When it comes to the functionality of your living room sofa, there are multiple factors that you should take care of before choosing the right sofa. You should think about the purpose of using this sofa in your living room, and here we are providing a few essential factors in this regard.
- Stationary Sofa: The stationary sofa is the best option if you want a stylish yet sturdy sofa for a formal sitting purpose.
- Reclining Sofa: If you want to lay back and elevate your legs for a more comfortable sitting while watching tv or reading a novel, a reclining sofa is your way to go.
- Sleeper Sofa: If you want to use your sofa occasionally or regularly for sleeping purposes and thus save on an additional bed, there is no better way than buying a sleeper sofa.
- Kids-Friendly Sofa: If you have kids jumping around on the sofa, you need a sofa with performance fabrics that can easily bear spills and stains.
- Pet-Friendly Sofa: If you have pets, you need to have a pet-friendly sofa that will stand up to your pets and last long without making you worried about scratching, stains, and shedding.
- The number of people that will use the sofa: Depending upon how small family or a big family you have, you would like to consider if you need a loveseat, a regular sofa, an apartment sofa, or a sectional sofa.
This is one significant factor that decides the look and feel of your living room sofa. You can go for leather or fabric, depending upon your choice. In leather upholstery, options are available in various qualities, colors, and textures like top grain leather and split leather. Fabrics are also available in different types depending upon the material, color, pattern, etc.
Leather or fabric, whatever material you choose for your living room sofa, it will be wise to understand the following factors associated with them:
- Look: Lather and fabric have their unique look that is very specific for different people depending upon their preference. Leather has a natural appearance and aesthetics that improve with age. On the other hand, the fabric has versatility in unlimited colors, patterns, and textures.
- Comfort: The leather is excellent when it comes to its soft and warm feel, and it easily adjusts to your body temperature and has breathability. The fabric provides comfort in its ways depending upon the type of fabric used, like natural or synthetic.
- Durability: This factor will have its importance depending upon how you will use your sofa at home. Leather has an excellent resistance to wear and tear and lasts longer than fabric. But nowadays, fabrics like microfiber are also getting popular as they are pretty much durable like leather.
- Maintenance: You would like to consider this factor if you want your living room sofa to last long. Leather sofas need maintenance and care to last for many years, like professional cleaning and regular dusting. Fabric sofas specifically need swift attention to spills and regular dusting.
- Cost: In this aspect, leather is undoubtedly more expensive than fabric upholstery.
A good quality sofa that provides your living room a distinct style and comfort to people while sitting can be a significant investment in terms of price. Multiple factors govern the cost of a sofa, like its size, type, style, construction method, and quality of the material. The cost of the furniture goes up if you opt for customization and upgrades if the seller provides this option.
You can choose the one that fits right in your pocket. Also, there are options to take sofas on rent rather than buying if that suits you.
It is important to know whether your purchased sofa will get home-delivered or you’ll have to pick it up from the store or warehouse. Most furniture sellers provide delivery services to the buyers living in the vicinity of their retail stores.
Delivery also depends upon the stock available with the seller. Customized sofas take a longer time as they are custom-built for the buyer as per their specific requirements. Delivery services are generally of 3 types depending upon the effort and labor required and thus affecting the final cost.
- Doorstep delivery – furniture delivered outside your entry door
- Standard delivery – furniture placed in the home
- White-glove delivery – It is full-service delivery, including unpacking and assembly of the furniture.
In some instances, you might have to, or you would like to pick up the furniture yourself and arrange its delivery at your home. So, you’ll have to consider this delivery part too while calculating the final cost of your living room sofa.
So, these are some basic aspects you will have to consider before buying a living room sofa for your home. Of course, it will take time and effort to do all this research and decision-making. Still, it will be worth it because you don’t want to regret buying a sofa that is not up to your satisfaction. So, better gear up and do your homework before shelling out your money.
Now, when you have bought your ideal living room sofa, it’s time to arrange it in the room. When there are many other pieces of furniture in your living room, deciding a perfect place for your sofa can be an intimidating task. But it is an essential step in creating a beautiful, functional, and cohesive space in your living room.
Arranging the sofa doesn’t mean just putting the sofa in a particular place in your living room. You should consider other aspects too for making your living room a visual treat for you and your guests.
Here are some important tips that will be very useful for you to arrange your living room sofa.
This is the most critical part of this whole process. Without planning, you’ll end up having furniture that is not going well with your living room or having no space for other specific pieces of furniture you have bought. So, it is always better to first plan by visualizing your interior space and sofa together.
Consider the size and the dimension of the space you have in your living room before purchasing the sofa. You will have to keep in mind all the other furniture and accessories that are part of your living room, like the bookshelf, coffee table, rugs, tv cabinet, etc. You will have to decide whether to keep a symmetrical or asymmetrical layout for your living room furniture.
You’ll have to put your sofa in a way that when people are sitting on it, they have a focal point in the living room like a fireplace, mirror, painting, TV, or any such thing that draws the focus of people around.
The living room sofa is the most important place where conversations take place. You should arrange your sofa in a way that creates cohesiveness, easiness, and togetherness while guests are sitting and talking to each other. For example, two accent chairs and a sofa around a coffee table make a perfect sitting arrangement.
Balance is the key to arranging the living room sofa and other furniture in your room. It’s a good idea to combine big and small furniture proportionally to feel cozy and relaxed. Scaling the furniture with the size of your living room will make it look more balanced. You should also leave some white space in your living room so that your eyes can relax while sitting there.
It’s essential to identify the traffic flow in your living room by considering how you move through the space in your room. The space around your living room sofa, coffee table, or ottomans should be optimum enough for free movement.
You must choose and arrange your carpet or rug to complement the living room sofa and other furniture. The rug’s size and shape should be sufficient to provide comfort without covering up all the floor area. It should be in proportion to your room size. You can position your rug in three different ways:
- Without any sofa legs on the rug
- With only the front legs of the sofa on the rug
- With rug extending completely underneath the sofa
These were some vital points to keep in mind while arranging your living room sofa. You can keep trying by relocating, reshuffling, adding suitable accessories, and doing some unconventional experiments until you achieve your desired look and feel of your living room. It is entirely up to your choice how you arrange everything in your living room. The ultimate goal is that you should feel cozy and relaxed sitting on your living room sofa, and your guests should feel elevated being at such a lovely living room setup.
We are now sure that this detailed guide has successfully made you a sofa expert. We very well know that you must have already started planning to buy your favorite living room sofa by now. So, why wait? Go and shop now!
It depends on the shape and size of your living room. The L-shaped sofa provides you the flexibility to arrange it in various ways:
- Corner placement: This is the best arrangement for placing the L-shape sofa in a small living room to provide sufficient space for smooth movement. You need not move the sofa for cleaning the room in this arrangement, and it is the best space-saving and aesthetic arrangement for the limited space.
- Placing against a wall: This arrangement of placing the sofa back against the wall is best for watching the tv as the chaise can serve as a lounging chair for relaxed viewing.
- Putting in the center of the room: This arrangement goes perfectly with the large living room where you can keep the L-shaped sofa in the center of the room.
- Placing to section out a large room: In a large elongated room with no space constraint, you can set the L-shaped sofa like a divider between sections of the furniture.
Floating a sofa means placing it in the middle of the room, away from all the walls, to make it stand out more and elevate the room’s style. You can follow these easy steps to float a living room sofa.
- Find the center point of your living room and place the sofa on it.
- Find the focal point of your room, make the sofa parallel to it, and treat it as the guide to place anything else in the living room. You can decorate the wall behind the sofa with artwork to fill the space.
- Visualize different sections in your living room space around the sofa. Add suitable furniture and accessories to fill that space without overstuffing the room like a bookshelf, minibar, or stool.
3. How to arrange a sectional sofa in the living room?
A sectional sofa is one of the most customizable pieces of furniture in your living room that you can place in multiple ways as per your need, convenience, room layout, and available space. Modern slim sectional sofas are the perfect solution for a small living room providing enough seating space and the sofa’s flexibility as the sleeping bed. You can do the placement of sectional sofa in the living room in various ways like:
- In the corner: Keeping it in the corner of the living room facing towards the TV or any other focal point will help you maximize the open space in the middle of the room. A corner sofa for a small living room can save you a lot of space for adding additional items.
- Dividing the room: For a studio apartment or an open-concept space, you can put the sectional sofa in a way that divides the room space providing it more functionality.
- Break it up: If you have a small living room with a sectional sofa, you can split the sofa by separating it into two or three pieces and putting them on different sides of the room parallel to each other. This way, you will get a decent arrangement along with sufficient middle space.
You can arrange the sofa and loveseat in a small living room by putting them around a natural focal point that will provide an aesthetic look to your living room.
- L-shape configuration: You can place them in an L-shape configuration to get more open space in the middle. One more placement idea of a sofa and loveseat can be by placing them facing each other. You can balance the loveseat’s visual weight with the sofa by adding an accent table or lamp at one side of the loveseat.
- U-shape configuration: This configuration needs one or two additional seats. First, make an L-shape arrangement with sofa and loveseat and then put a small accent table across from the couch at the center, flanked by two petite accent chairs.
- Square configuration: In this configuration, you simply place your sofa and loveseat facing each other and at the same time place matching chairs opposite to each other to form a square-shaped furniture layout. You can also add another piece of furniture like a round ottoman in the center of this square arrangement, thus making it a comfortable and intimate space for sitting.
Not only this, you can apply your ideas depending upon what all furniture you have by placing them for a new customized arrangement. Your creativity can make a fabulous style statement in your living room
A floating couch is placed to break up an area and section out a large space in your room. Avoid placing your sofa against the wall and keep it between the TV section and dining area, with a buffet leaning against its back to make the split obvious yet welcoming.
5. Which sectional sofas are best for the living room?
For relaxing and sleeping, pick a sectional that can be used as a bed and one that does not have bulky armrests.