The Ultimate Sofa Guide
Presenting the ultimate sofa guide.Investing in a sofa is a big decision. It’s not just a piece of furniture—it should be considered the centrepiece of your living room, the physical embodiment of your home decorating style, and an investment you can make without regret. After all, they say a sofa can make or break a room!
You want your sofa to be comfortable, but you also want it to fit the space and add something extra to the aesthetic. So how do you know what kind of couch to buy? We’ve compiled the ultimate guide to buying sofas to be sure you’re getting the best value for your money.
Factors that go into buying the perfect sofa
Whether it’s a plush, overstuffed leather recliner or a sleek, modern bedroom sofa, it’s something that requires a lot of thought. It’s where you watch movies, eat dinner, play with your kids, and put up your feet after a long day at work. Your sofa is such an essential part of life that it can be difficult to know where to start when it comes to buying one. That’s why we’ve put together a list of factors that will help your buying process:
1. Space: The first step is figuring out how much space in the room you can afford to spare. Measure before you buy!
Once you know how much space there is to give, you may pick a sofa based on the length and width among the rest of the deciding factors.
2. Functionality: Consider how often you’ll be using your sofa. Are you looking for a sofa to complete your movie nights or a cosy two-seater loveseat for snuggles with your partner? Are you planning to host lavish dinner parties, or do you want a lavish office sofa?
After considering the usage of the sofa, you may decide whether you want a statement piece that stands out or something that seamlessly blends in with the rest of your surroundings. Perhaps, you want a sofa with storage.
3. Material: There are a lot of different materials that make up a sofa. So, the question remains – how do you decide which one is best for your home? Here are some materials you can opt for:
- Fabric: Fabric is durable, simple, and, most of all, comfy. A fabric sofa would be ideal if you’re hoping for a simple sofa to tie up your space while making it cosy.
- Linen: Linen blends are soft and have a slight sheen that gives them elegance without being overwhelming. They resist stains well and will last for years with proper maintenance. However, they hold onto wrinkles, so they may not be the best choice if you’re looking for something that looks perfectly pressed at all times.
- Microfiber: These durable options can easily be cleaned with water or a dry cleaning solvent. They resist stains and fading better than most fabrics, but they may show wear over time, especially if you have pets that scratch the fabric.
- Velvet: Velvet speaks of unparalleled luxury. If you’re hoping for an opulent feel, this material is the way to go. Keep in mind that this material is prone to stains unless it is polyester or poly-blend velvet (which means it isn’t kid-friendly or pet-friendly).
- Leather: It’s durable, luxurious, and oh so stylish. If you’re looking for a timeless sofa that can last for years while withstanding wear and tear from pets and children – you’ve found your match. But beware, with all these benefits, it’s a slightly high budget.
4. Foam density: Density is going to tell you a lot about how long your sofa will last. High-density foam will not sag as much over time as lower-density foam, making it more likely that your sofa will look great for years to come if you opt for high-density.
5. Frame: When it comes to choosing the right sofa frame, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Instead, it’s about finding a sofa that speaks to your style, fits your space, and syncs with your lifestyle.
Higher-end sofa frames are generally made of solid hardwood. Solid hardwood ages well, has superior strength and lasts up to 10 years longer than other options. Plywood is more affordable than hardwood, but is less durable. If you’re looking for something cheaper, you can find some good options in metal frames.
6. Colour and Pattern: A good rule of thumb is to pick a colour that matches your walls. If you’re going for a modern look, try black. For rustic and traditional, brown and neutrals will work well. If you want to be bold, think outside the box. Try something abstract like red or blue or go with a patterned sofa. Patterns look great in living rooms! It’s up to you to decide what works best with the rest of your decor and style.
Sofa styles to choose from
Now that you’ve narrowed down the basics of what your sofa should be like, it’s time to choose a style. Whether you’re a minimalist who likes clean lines, or you prefer a plush, inviting sofa that practically jumps off the showroom floor and into your home, there are many different styles to choose from:
When you’re ready to take your living room to the next level of comfort and style, nothing else will do but a tufted sofa. Designed to last for decades, this timeless classic has been around for ages but is still one of the most sought-after pieces to furnish a home in style.
The tufted sofa is typically made from high-quality fabrics like linen or cotton and a solid wood frame for maximum stability. You will even find options for beautiful tufted leather sofas! The tufts are created by threading a needle through the fabric and pulling it tight, causing the material to fold in on itself and create a button-like effect. Tufting gives the appearance of dimension and artistry, which makes it ideal for rooms with more formal or classically decorated styles.
They can seat up to 4 people at a time, making them super practical for homes where you might entertain guests or have big families!
There’s something about a daybed sofa that is just so… luxurious. It doubles as a bed and features a three-sided frame with two headboards and one backrest, making it the ideal relaxation spot. You can sink into the cosy pillows, curl up with a good book or your favourite show, and drift off to sleep.
They are the epitome of comfort, but their unique design also makes them an attractive addition to any room! Daybed sofas are the perfect bedroom sofa where you might not have the space to fit a traditional sofa/bed.
Leather Chesterfield Sofa
The leather chesterfield is a piece of classic furniture that combines comfort and refined elegance. The top grain leather upholstery guarantees durability; the frame is made of sturdy solid wood, whereas the seat and back cushions are filled with high-resilience foam for an inviting feel. The result is a comfortable place to rest your body while adding a sophisticated touch to any room.
This plus and luxurious sofa is one of the most iconic pieces of furniture in the world and brings all the style and class that you could ever dream of owning. The leather chesterfield is the perfect piece for any decor, with its classic silhouette and clean, straightforward design.
Make your guests feel right at home, no matter how little space you have. With the sofa chaise sleeper, you can pack all the comfort and style of a luxury hotel into any room of your home or apartment. This sleek sleeper sofa is the perfect modern touch to any room, and it’s just as comfortable as your favourite bed!
The minimalist design and sleek lines give this piece a timeless look that works in any room, from formal living rooms to modern studios, while the chaise end is perfect for lounging with a book or a glass of wine.
Italian Leather Sofa
Catch a glimpse of what it’s like to live the Italian lifestyle with the Italian leather sofa.
This sofa’s sleek design and modern structure will be an eye-catching addition to your home. It’s made of 100% real Italian leather, so you’ll know that you’re getting top quality. The thick arms and back are built to support you while you sit, no matter your height or size. The premium design is a touch of class you deserve.
Sofa with Storage
Recently, it’s all about being more intentional with the things you bring into your homes. You want products that have a purpose and fill a need, rather than just taking up space in your house. If that’s the case, a sofa with storage would be ideal for you!
No more unsightly toy bins! No more disorganised closets! No more letters, books, and other important documents piled precariously on your desk! With the storage, you can store it right inside your couch. They’re perfect as office and bedroom sofas.
While there are several styles of sofas to choose from, these are our top picks. We hope this guide was helpful for picking of your dreams! Explore our website to begin shopping for your favorite sofa.