Modifying the color palette is one of the easiest and most inexpensive ways of bringing new life to your home interiors. Even if you’re moving to a new home, selecting the right colors for your home can help your space feel more familiar and inviting. From the color of the walls to the colors used in your furniture and furnishings, there are numerous opportunities when it comes to playing with color in terms of interior design. But with these opportunities comes the possibility of making the wrong color choices and messing up your home interiors.
If you’re planning to start a home painting project or want to completely redo the color palette of your home, it’s always better to go in well prepared. To help to make the right call, we have put together some fun ideas to help you select the best color for your home.
Tips TO SELECT The Perfect Color For Your Home
- When considering different wall colors, take a look at the different decor and furnishing items on display in the room. From the couch upholstery and the curtain colors to the area rug or large artwork on the wall, there are colors in every element of your room. Choose a neutral color from these different options that work well enough on its own but accentuate the other decor and furnishing pieces in the room. For instance, if you have a purple and beige carpet, you can opt for beige as the primary wall color.
- Your living room, dining area, and entryway are arguably the most important parts of your home and that’s where you should start with choosing the color scheme for your home. Think of it as setting the base for the kind of colors you want to be displayed in your home. For instance, if your living room couch is a deep emerald, you can take it a couple of shades lighter and use it for your bedroom walls. With colors branching out of the same base palette, your home will have better continuity and the transition from one room to the next will be more seamless.
- The basic principle of using colors in any room is to use dark color values for the floor, medium color for the walls, and light values for the ceiling. This natural progression from dark to light replicates what you see outside with the darker ground and lighter sky. The three shades you pick don’t necessarily have to be of the same base color. As long as they work well together, you can choose shades of different colors for your home.
- If you’re not too familiar with the different colors you can choose from, you should acquaint yourself with the color wheel. Generally, analogous color schemes, i.e. colors adjacent to each other in the color wheel, work well together. For instance, blue and green are both soothing and peaceful colors perfect for your bedroom wall. Use the color wheel to identify potential color combinations you can use in your home to create a beautiful space.
- Having trouble identifying which colors to feature in your home? Take a look at your wardrobe for help. People mostly wear clothes in colors they like and your wardrobe could be a great indicator of your preferred color choices. For instance, if your wardrobe features a lot of denim, a navy blue couch for your living room could be a great choice. If you enjoy bright colors, try and incorporate them in your furnishings like pillows and other accessories.
- While you shouldn’t use a lot of black in your home decor, a dash or a pop of the dark color can help clarify the rest of the room’s colors. With a black lampshade or vase in the living room, a darker-hued drawer in the study, or even black cabinets for the kitchen, you can find numerous ways to incorporate black in your home decor to great effect. Remember to not overdo your use of black in your home since it can make your home appear less welcoming and darker than you probably intend.
- Grey is currently amongst the most popular neutral colors and for good reason! The highly versatile color can be used in a lot of different design aesthetics and its chameleon-like properties make it appear both warm and cool, depending on your intended effect. Grey also works beautifully with pastels, bright colors, and citrusy shades as well making it the perfect choice of color for all kinds of rooms including the living room and the bedroom.
- To make choosing the best colors for your home easier, you can follow the 60-30-10 rule. According to this, you should divide the major colors you want to use into percentage components where 60% is the dominant color used in walls, 30% is the secondary color mainly used in upholstery, and the remaining 10% is accent color featured in decor and lighting accessories and other decor items. With the ratio of colors properly maintained, what you get is a home with the perfect color balance without being too boring.
- If you have a favorite color that’s too out there to be used in big spaces like the living room or bedroom, create a dedicated space in your home to feature the color. For instance, if you're a big fan of bright yellow, you can probably use it in the kitchen cabinets or the bathroom vanity to great effect. The key is moderation and finding a functional space to feature the color you like.
Follow these basic tips to choose the perfect color for your home. Remember, while choosing colors for your home is a completely personal exercise, you do need to factor in the intended effect on visitors and find ways to balance what you want with what’s good for your home. If you don’t have the time or patience to figure out the best color for your home, you can rely on CasaOne’s interior design services for help. Our professional interior designers are equipped with the requisite knowledge to help you set up a beautiful home with colors you like. CasaOne offers top-quality furniture for rent to help you furnish your home with stunning furniture without worrying about its cost. Get in touch with us for a free-of-cost exploratory design consultation or browse our rental furniture collection right here.
- How much does it cost to paint a house?
On average, the cost to paint a house falls somewhere between $1.75 and $3.50 per square foot. The cost increases to $3 to $4 if you're planning to paint the walls, ceilings, and trim. Also, the cost will rise if there's some pre-existing damage to the wall that needs fixing.
- How many layers of paint are required for my home exterior?
According to most painting experts, two coats of paint are required for your home exterior. The number of coats primarily depends on the quality of paint used. For inferior quality paint, more than two coats might be required for the best results.
- What color combinations are good for an interior house?
There are many great color combinations you can use for your home interiors including orange and blue, yellow and purple, red and green, and many others. Before purchasing the paint, try out the combination on a small surface to check if it's the right fit.
- What all groundwork is needed before painting a house?
Before painting a house, you need to use painter's tape to protect wall trim and wall sconces. Also, cover all your furniture and other important decor items with old sheets to avoid getting paint on them. Your painter will also use a high-quality primer to hide any imperfections on the walls.